Morpho-physiological responses of tall wheatgrass populations to different levels of water stress
IDENTIFICADOR UNIVERSAL: http://hdl.handle.net/11093/3716
VERSIÓN EDITADA: https://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0209281
MATERIA UNESCO: 2417 Biología Vegetal (Botánica) ; 2417.19 Fisiología Vegetal ; 2511 Ciencias del Suelo (Edafología)
TIPO DE DOCUMENTO: article
Tall wheatgrass [Elymus elongatus subsp. ponticus (Podp.) Melderis] is a perennial forage grass cultivated in dry, saline or alkaline environments. The morpho-physiological characteristics of four populations of tall wheatgrass from different climatic-edaphic origins were evaluated under three conditions of water stress (100%-50%-30% of field capacity). The trial was analyzed with three replicates and two-factor ANOVA in pots within the greenhouse during 35 days. Only dry matter and tiller number showed interaction between populations and water conditions. The most relevant changes in morpho-physiological parameters under strong water stress were reduced dry matter production (48–32% differing among populations), smaller leaf and tiller size (46% and 28%), together with higher water use efficiency (74%), and increased proline and protein contents (144% and 71%), smaller tiller number (30–11% differing among populations) and a slight decrease in leaf water content (3%). The populations differed in growth strategies and morpho-physiological mechanisms to survive water stress, which could be related to their habitat background. The study shows the stability in dry matter production under all levels of water stress, which can be related to the higher tiller number. Due to this plasticity, tall wheatgrass should be studied as a species with great potential to adapt to drought stress.
Ficheiros no ítem
- 2018_borrajo_wheatgrass_popula ...